SURVEYING SERVICES INTO 2018 AFTER HURRICANES IRMA & MARIA IN THE BVI
With so many yachts and boats either badly damaged in the water or damaged in a boatyard we can offer the following services (below). We have not, like other surveying companies started employing new staff who are not qualified surveyors, just to benefit from the circumstances. Geoff Williams will be your surveyor through this. The office is a little battered but it's business as usual!
- After the hurricanes (September to December) we offered owners a "Hurricane Damage Preliminary Inspection". Hundreds of these reports were successfully generated and were well received by boat owners and Insurance companies.
- 2018 - The need for 'Preliminary Reports' is now over and detailed Damage Surveys can now be completed, as most boats are in a stable condition afloat or chocked in boatyards.
- If you are considering buying a hurricane damaged yacht, we recommend that you start off with a detailed Damage Survey. Most have discharged batteries and we are unable to plug into shore power. Before powering up equipment a electrician and a mechanic should be engaged by the seller to ensure it is safe to start up. Even though a mast might be standing, in a lot of cases there is damage. A full rigging inspection is advised.
- We offer a detailed Damage Survey (approximate cost $800 / on Tortola) or a full Condition Survey (a rate sheet can be sent to you on request). In most cases a full Condition Survey is not possible for obvious reasons.
- Conditions: The vessel must be in a stable, safe condition. Interiors need to be reasonably clean - no mildew or stagnant water and fumigated if need be. After five + months since the storms we are finding some boats are in a terrible condition. To schedule a survey, credit card details are needed - Visa or MasterCard. Details can be e-mailed or phoned in - cellular or Skype.
- Communications are up and running - we have reasonably good Internet and the cellular service is ok. We also have Skype: westindiessurveyors and WhatsApp